Wednesday, January 17, 2018

2018 Back to the Classics Challenge

I didn't participate in 2017 but want to try again this year. In 2016 I read 6 of my 12 books but they are books I would not have read if I hadn't signed up. I am still working on my list but have started my 1st book "Orient Express" by Graham Greene. I have never read anything by him before although I was aware that he was an author. I may pick up some of the ones from my 2016 list that I didn't read but fit into one of the new 12 categories. My choices appear in ORANGE but they may change. This year the challenge is:

1.  A 19th century classic - any book published between 1800 and 1899. The Moonstone


2.  A 20th century classic - any book published between 1900 and 1968. Just like last year, all books MUST have been published at least 50 years ago to qualify. The only exception is books written at least 50 years ago, but published later, such as posthumous publications.


3.  A classic by a woman author


4.  A classic in translation.  Any book originally written published in a language other than your native language. Feel free to read the book in your language or the original language. (You can also read books in translation for any of the other categories). Modern translations are acceptable as long as the original work fits the guidelines for publications as explained in the challenge rules.


5. A children's classic. Indulge your inner child and read that classic that you somehow missed years ago. Short stories are fine, but it must be a complete volume. Young adult and picture books don't count! Black Beauty


6.  A classic crime story, fiction or non-fiction. This can be a true crime story, mystery, detective novel, spy novel, etc., as long as a crime is an integral part of the story and it was published at least 50 years ago. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie


7. A classic travel or journey narrative, fiction or non-fiction. The journey itself must be the major plot point -- not just the destination. Orient Express by Graham Greene 

8. A classic with a single-word title.   Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier


9. A classic with a color in the title. The Scarlet Letter

10. A classic by an author that's new to you. Choose an author you've never read before.


11. A classic that scares you. Is there a classic you've been putting off forever? A really long book which intimidates you because of its sheer length? Now's the time to read it, and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised! The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck


12. Re-read a favorite classic. Like me, you probably have a lot of favorites -- choose one and read it again, then tell us why you love it so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment